We all have those days. You wake up and you’re already in a bad mood. Or the first thing you see puts you in a bad mood. Maybe you didn’t sleep well. Maybe you stepped in cat puke.
All of those things happened to me this morning.
Being my wonderfully stubborn self, I let the entire day be ruined within the first five minutes of being awake. One of the things I hate more than when my roommates leave dirty dishes in the sink is going to bed upset. Here are a few things I do to finish my day on a good note.
- Go-to playlist — even if I just listen to the same song on repeat, I have a playlist I regularly go to when I’m down in the dumps and just need to blast some tunes.
- Favorite food — usually this means I treat myself. Maybe I make a favorite meal. Sometimes I go and grab something easy so I can relax and not worry about cooking. Oftentimes I just get ice cream because chocolate, duh.
- Cat cuddles — or pet cuddles. If I’m on my bed, you can guarantee one of the cats is on my lap, even if the little shit puked on the carpet this morning…
- Writing/Reading — I vent to my journal, I write a particular scene that requires the exact emotion I’m feeling, or I just stab my pen into the paper until I’m satisfied. Even better, I pull out my favorite book and flip through to all of my favorite quotes
- I watch some TV — always a comedy. If I’m in a bad mood, I don’t need something sad or thought provoking. I want all the laughs of Brooklyn Nine-Nine or Rick and Morty or some other fun show.
- Exercise — one of my least favorite things to do when I’m in a bad mood. Unfortunately, it’s also the best thing for you. If I can make it past the first ten minutes, I’m usually good to go.
- Pinterest — I’ve been using the site to storyboard a new novel. What’s more exciting than digging through writing prompts, photos, and other distracting pins?
What do you do to fix your mood or get out of a funk? What’s your go-to song, food, or TV show?